Pages

PayPal

Sunday, March 28, 2010

ED

Three beds on the right and three beds on the left. Usually the majority of the pts are on the beds to the right. If there are no beds left we would put them on the left side.

There is gravel on the ground. Sharps containers present (imagine that). No isolation of any sort and no privacy existed in the ED. Patients changed infront of everyone and went to the bathroom while others were walking by.

Normally, night shift in the ED is 7-10 pm, unless there are patients still treated in the ER after 10. If there are no patients, starting 10 ED staff is on call. On call meaning, our names and cod number is listed in the "Logistics office" and someone has to wake up the staff on call.

On average our "on-call" time would start anywhere between 10 to 2 am.

The staff in the ED at night would consist of one to two nurses (I would be one of them) and one to two doctors. I actually found myself one time as the only nurse with four doctors. Imagine that in US... lol. During the "on-call" time there would be one nurse and one doctor.

I couldn't sleep, which I normally have trouble with anyways, thus I would start being a "resource" nurse during the "on-call" time. So I worked the whole night every night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment